Weeping Lilly Pilly Riparian Rainforest Restoration at Frank Robinson Park
Frank Robinson Park sits along the Williams River where an an endangered riparian rainforest vegetation community exists. In March 2017, SWV Inc received a $10,000 grant through the Hunter Water Sponsorship and Donations Program with an aim to stabilise the bank and reintroduce rainforest plant species.
Under the grant agreement the activities being carried out to achieve this aim include:
- Professional removal of weeds
- Purchase and installation of native plants
- Purchase of tools and other equipment to make the project possible
- Co-branded signage to promote the project
- Media and photo opportunity
- Acknowledge of Hunter’s sponsorship
Following our successful “Our River our Rainforest” workshop Alex King of Biological Restoration Australia (BRA) was engaged to draw up a plan, select appropriate plant species and to carry out the professional removal of weeds.
The project is broken up into the following stages:
- Primary Work – clearing, weed & sediment control done by Biological Preservation Australia
- Stage 1 – planting of sun loving species
- Stage 2 – planting of light shade species
- Stage 3 – planting of shade loving species